Tuesday, July 10, 2012

It's totally crazy how early the sun comes up here!! 5am bam it's in your face!!! The power goes off for the night around midnight and comes back on around 8am so its so hot when the sun comes up, I have to get up and open the door because the windows alone are not bringing enough air in my little hot box room. Between the heat, roosters and children playing outside and calling out to anyone who will pay them attention-I am not going back to sleep.

I go down stairs and there's breakfast which has been not bad but it's not Denny's either...
I go get on my sunscreen, bug spray and hat, fill up my water bottle and play on email and FB until my ride comes. I have been helping with building a school, well actually I've been digging trenches 18 inches deep, 14 inches wide and 36 feet long for the foundation. We just found out we need to go down and out 4 more inches!!! We have dug in the sun, the rain and in sunny rain shower- that is my favorite. My back, legs and arms hurt but I love it!!! I love the sweating, the burn and mostly the saticfaction of getting something down in just a few hours. Its so hot here thats all you can do is a few hours in the morning of work.

We come back to the house for lunch-always rice, beans and some kind of meat. I have a new appreciation for water and by the time I come back in Dec. I just might hate it!!! I shower and its cold water alone here but it feels good!! After lunch here you take a rest but if you know me you know I have a hard time resting but not here!!! Between going to bed late and waking up early and digging, I sometimes look forward to my hour and 30 min nap before I go to Mama Tara's house. It's amazing to me the difference between the kids that live in Mama Tara's house and the one that live in House of Hope. Mama Tara raises her children the true Mosquito way and of course H of H is American ran so it uses stoves, it's more developed and it's cleaner but children are the same anywhere you go-hungry...hungry for your love, your attention and your smile. And so thats what I do here- I love, hug, high five and look them in the eyes and smile for as long as I can before the sun starts to go. Then I go- I have to remember I am still an American and this is still a 3rd world country...well "rest time" is over and I have children waiting to be loved on!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment